Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fathers and Sons

Fathers and Sons examined one of the most important themes of the Nick Adams stories; the theme of the father and son relationship. This short story meant a lot to me personally as well because I know that my relationship with my father has been so important in my life.

Nick Adams' father is a very harsh and stoic man. During the story it seems as if Nick wishes to have a relationship with his father and to have a meaningful relationship with him, but his father solely wishes to educate his son in how to be a man. His father instructs him about how to be a moral man (not to masterbate, have sex with prostitutes, etc.) and how to hunt. However, Nick's father doesn't even follow his own instruction about morality (because he frequently has other affairs) and Nick knows this because of his clear eyes and good health. This hypocrisy carries over into Nick's own life when he begins an affair with Trudy (an Indian woman). 

Ultimately the relationship between Nick and his father is a poor one that doesn't create any kind of love or compassion between the two. The relationship between Nick and his son is completely different however. Nick's son wishes to pray at his grandfathers grave and has a deep love for Nick and Nick's father. Nick reciprocates this love for his son by granting him his wishes and telling him that they will visit Nick's father someday. This story serves to compare the two father-son relationships and how one is filled with love while the other is just a formality. 

I think this story meant so much to me because if I had a father-son relationship like the one between Nick and his father I would be miserable. I can relate to the hurt that Nick felt and the difficult adolescence he experienced because of his relationship with his father. I thought this story was an excellent representation of the importance of a father-son relationship and the effect it has on one's personality and one's actions.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post because I have only ever observed a father-son relationship. It was interesting reading about how you were able to relate to this story. Reading about Nick throughout these stories and reading your blog has made me wonder more and more about Nick becoming exactly like his own father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was awesome to read about your passion for this story. I agree that it is important to have a great Father-Son relationship. A father is the main influence in a young boys life, at least for myself. I once went on a mission trip to Mexico and spent a day at a daycare. They loved having guys help out because the fathers were gone and not in the child's life.

    Nice job making this a personal response. I enjoyed it.
    -Clay

    ReplyDelete